You all may be aware of this by now but as I am part sloth, I like being as comfortable as possible at all times and as such I am a huge fan of pyjama trousers. There is nothing like having a nice hot bath and then stepping into lovely clean pjs and getting all snug on the sofa… Ok, so that’s actually quite a wintery image, but after the weather we’ve had recently, it’s not too far from the truth!
On my last fabric shopping adventure to Birmingham, we stopped off at the utter glory hole that is Barry’s. I long for the day there is a fabric shop like it near me! I had seen this
amazing bee print fabric on instagram made up into some really cute tees and dresses and I knew I had to get some. I loved the duck egg blue colourway, but now I think about it the navy version would work really nicely for a summer dress… *grabs credit card*. I think I picked up about 2.5 metres as the fabric is only about 115cm wide but it wasn’t very pricey so it was nice to splash out!
I really really love the print, but I knew I would never be able to turn it into anything like a shirt a dress or a shirt as the print is just a bit much for me, but I am very fond of of a loud print in a pyjama – somehow with lounge wear you can get away with a lot more!
I used the free pyjama trouser pattern from the first series of the Great British Sewing Bee (the link will take you to the full list of free downloadable patterns from Series 1) – the same one I used for these pj trousers. I didn’t do anything differently this time except use the overlocker instead of doing French seams, and I’m really happy with them. I do think my overlocker might need a once-over though as it had a little bit of a struggle with this fabric, but it’s lovely cotton to sew – crisp and a bit rustly but softens up nicely with some wear.
When cutting out I forgot that the pattern is quite regular so it’s not pattern matched at all but as I hadn’t realised this until one entire leg was assembled, I didn’t have enough to go back and re-cut. As I’m probably never leaving the house in them I figured it’d be fine but it actually seems to have turned out absolutely fine. I also somehow managed to get a perfect pattern match on most of the centre front seam – no idea how it happened but I couldn’t have done if I tried!