I love this time of year – the last few days of the year after Christmas are always a time for planning, anticipation (and eating too much leftover chocolate) and getting ready to see what the new year brings. Following on from last year’s #2017makenine, I wanted to start 2018 with a fresh list of makes for the year that would work well with my existing wardrobe as well as replacing a few things. I do eventually intend to have a wardrobe that is about 90% handmade and I have been putting off making anything too complicated (because I’m being a bit lazy, frankly, and I can do better) so my new list will hopefully push me in the right direction!
- Deer and Doe Datura top. This was on last year’s list and I just never really got a chance to dedicate time to fitting this. I already have a few fabrics in my stash that would work well for this pattern too.
- Simplicity 1590. This is a new choice for this year and I already own the pattern. It’s a sweet shape and in a flattering style so will work well at work and casually. (I can’t find a UK link for this pattern so you may need to dig around)
- Deer and Doe Melilot blouse. I have already made this pattern but it’s great and I love it and have a few more versions planned already!
- Seamwork York. I spotted an ad for this on instagram and although I HATE instagram adverts and hide/report every single one I see, I thought this top from Seamwork was really versatile and gave lots of scope for pattern hacks.
- Deer and Doe Luzerne trench coat. This is not intentionally a Deer and Doe fangirl list, but I love the look of this pattern (Sophie’s gorgeous green version really swung it for me) and now I am desperate to make my own version.
- Closet Case Patterns Ginger jeans. This is a repeat from last year’s list but I hope that this will be my first big make of 2018. I have the pattern, some denim and the inclination this time around!
- Closet Case Patterns Sasha trousers. Well, sort of. My plan is it make some chino-type trousers so that I have more options than just jeans, and although I have a few patterns already, the Sasha pattern looks like just what I am after! It is drafted from the same block as the Gingers so if they fit well then I will likely make Sasha too!
- New Look 6107. I think this was a magazine freebie and I want to make a combination of View A and View B as it’ll be a good one for wearing to work without being too stiff and formal.
- Cloth Habit Harriet bra. I’ve seen great versions of this pattern online and I think this will be a good challenge as I have never made underwear before. I do already have a few lingerie supplies in my stash so it will be good to experiment with something new.
#2017makenine in review
I only managed to make 3 out of 9 patterns last year. I think maybe I was a bit ambitious with some of my planned makes, and totally unrealistic with others and I must admit as the year moved on I found myself less inclined to bother starting anything from this list. I made the Steeplechase leggings, the Threadcount cardigan (both as yet unblogged) and New Look 6483 (which you can read about here).